Driver's License

South Dakota Driver's License Information

Appointment Scheduler Online appointment scheduling lets you schedule an appointment to renew your driver license at the Aberdeen, Rapid City, Sioux Falls (both locations), and Watertown driver exam stations or schedule a drive test (see list of specific locations below) from the convenience of your computer -- 24 hours a day, 7 days a week! Please note that to schedule drive tests online, you must have a valid Non-Commercial Class 1 and/or Class 3 Driver License or Instruction Permit.

MUST HAVE ONE to prove identity, date of birth, and lawful status*:
• Certified U.S. birth certificate issued by state or county (no hospital birth-certificates)
• Valid unexpired U.S. passport Certificate of Naturalization
• Certificate of Citizenship
Non-Citizens Need:
• Valid unexpired permanent resident card
• Valid unexpired employment authorization document
• Foreign passport with valid unexpired U.S. Visa with I-94

 *Anyone who has changed their name since birth (and does not have a valid U.S. Passport in their current name) needs to show proof of the name change(s). Acceptable documents for proof of legal name change are a certified marriage certificate (issued by a state vital records agency), a certified adoption document, or a certified court order authorizing a name change (such as a divorce decree). If you have been married multiple time you will need to provide proof of all name changes (unless you have taken back your maiden/birth name or hold a valid U.S. Passport).

South Dakota birth and marriage certificate information is available at and through your local County Register of Deeds' office. Marriage certificates before 1970 may not be available for same day issuance. For telephone numbers and addresses to write for out-of-state vital records, please visit

MUST HAVE ONE document to prove Social Security number. The documents below are the only ones we can accept for proof of Social Security number (the document must include name and full social security number). Please do not ask us to accept anything other than the documents below: Social Security card (we cannot accept the Social Security stub) (card/stub examples) W-2 Form SSA 1099 Form Non-SSA 1099 Form Pay stub (must include name and social security number) (For information on how to apply for a social security number or replacement card, please visit

MUST HAVE TWO documents to prove your residential/physical address. A parent's proof of address is acceptable for a minor child. Please bring two of the documents listed below (each must contain your name and current address):
• Utility bill
• Credit card statement
• Pay stub or earnings statement
• Rent receipt
• Phone bill
• Transcript or report card from an accredited school
• Bank statement
• Mortgage document
• Tax document
• Homeowners/renter's insurance policy
• Other items with your address can be reviewed by Driver Licensing personnel
• If you are unable to provide proof of residency, please call 1.800.952.3696 or 605.773.6883 for exceptions.
• Post Office Box addresses are acceptable in areas not assigned a street or 911 address

For more information, click below